In the last decade Nintendo has become synonymous with quirky hardware designs: sometimes inspired leaps of creativity like the original Wii and 3DS, and sometimes befuddling mish-mashes like the Wii U. So, as the first details on the venerable game maker’s seventh-generation console began to trickle out this year, fans and analysts alike were gripped with suspense. Would the new platform be a return to form or a second consecutive stumble? Now that we’ve had our first official look at the Switch, it’s clear that Nintendo is continuing to follow its own muse, this time emphasizing a unique take on the future of home and mobile gaming. Join Chris and Derek for a look ahead at Nintendo’s next chapter, and a wide-ranging discussion of the Switch’s unique creative possibilities.
- The Nintendo Switch announcement trailer
- Nintendo Switch official site
- The Wii U’s befuddling announcement trailer foreshadowed the console’s troubles
- Reggie Fils-Aimé on what went wrong with the Wii U and what Nintendo learned
- Eurogamer’s analysis of the NVIDIA Tegra chipset and its implications for Switch performance
- Everyone wants to be friends with Nintendo Switch Karen
Image credit: Nintendo