The start of a new year is a great time for reflection, so let’s look ahead to the gaming world of 2017. What are some of the trends, themes, and questions that we think will shape this year’s gaming landscape? We’ll ponder a variety of mysteries, including the future of the Nintendo Switch, the challenges of VR adoption, and even the enigma of HDR. Power up your prognostication and join us for a lively preview of the coming year in games.
- The Nintendo Switch’s launch lineup has been announced and its lack of substantial original content is causing concern.
- Nintendo’s first forays into mobile gaming have been well received, but the company has been surprised by the challenges of free-to-play.
- The Playstation 4 Pro has great specs, but in practice its improvements over the base model are subtle and incremental.
- Assassin’s Creed Unity’s legendary glitches offer an important case in point on the creative and technical risks of annualized franchises.
- Star Citizen has changed game engines and Chris feels the chill winds of doom.
Image credit: Scott Taylor